The skills professionals learn from studying for an MBA with Manchester Met will sharpen their business acumen and encourage them to develop a strong commercial knowledge. These are vital skills needed to get ahead in business and an MBA can also offer many more skills that are needed to truly stand out from the crowd.
When studying for an MBA, you will develop a wide range of transferable skills. Upgrading your knowledge about finance, customer value and management; developing your insight into your chosen subject if you opt to do a specialist MBA; or learning skills in teamwork, ethics and communication.
Areas of focus
During phase one of the course, all of the MBAs offered at Manchester Met concentrate on:
- Financial analysis
- Managing human performance
- Managing for business excellence
- Managing customer value
- Contemporary issues in the international environment
This ensures that everyone who completes an MBA has the skills needed to succeed in a business environment. These behaviours are incredibly important for managers to master if they want to become great leaders and motivate their staff / colleagues to achieve their best.
Those who are studying a general MBA will be given freedom to choose their own path after they have learnt the key behaviours in phase one. Professionals are given a choice of elective modules across our Management, Marketing & Accountancy departments, and can choose one of these to tailor their programme in line with their career targets.
As well as these key areas, the specialist MBAs offered (Digital Management or Financial Services) will delve into different aspects of individual industries, preparing professionals for a wide range of business scenarios in phase two.
In phase three, professionals studying for an MBA will be required to complete a dissertation, demonstrating the skills and knowledge they learnt throughout the course and a strong ability to work individually.
Once the three phases are completed, professionals will have gained the knowledge needed to be a strong manager at a senior management level.
Additionally, through seminars, tasks and guest lectures, they will have developed skills needed to really succeed in their chosen area of business. These skills will include:
- The ability to work in ever-changing environments - Manchester Met MBA courses are always evolving. The courses are designed to prepare you for specific, real word scenarios that you might come across working in business. This way, employers know that MBA graduates are always ready for the next step.
- Knowing when to take calculated risks - A Manchester Met MBA will teach you how to read situations and understand when to take risks. Succeeding in business is all about making calculated decisions that maximise opportunity, while trying to minimise risk.
- Communication - Studying for an MBA will help you improve communication skills with your business colleagues and the people you will be managing. You will learn to understand business ‘jargon’ and the basic ideas behind complex processes in different areas of industry. This will make it easier for you to speak to people on their level as a senior manager.
- Teamwork - During the Manchester Met MBA you will be required to complete team projects. The ability to work well as part of a team is one of the most important skills a senior manager can have. Completing an MBA will help you learn how to handle a wide variety of personalities to ensure that you are all working to the best of your strengths.
- How to build up a network of contacts - Anyone who has completed an MBA with Manchester Met will have had the chance to build up a network of contacts that will become invaluable throughout the course of their careers. From tutors to fellow MBA graduates and any guest speakers you have the chance to meet, an MBA with Manchester Met can offer exposure to engage with an extremely diverse pool of people, in a short period of time. You will develop confidence and be able to grow your contacts throughout your career.
Philomena Chen, Head of Asia Pacific Development at UK Trade and Investment North West, completed an MBA with Manchester Met Business School. She said:
“One of the most important things I learned was how to build relationships with people – establishing rapport with people is a huge part of my job now.
The multi-disciplinary modules and the chance to link the project to industry stood me in good stead for the shifting global business landscape.”
Click here to find out more about our MBA alumni and current MBA students.
Do you have what it takes?
If you work hard and have the ambition to succeed, the skills and knowledge you will gain from an MBA will be invaluable for the rest of your career. If you think an MBA is for you, you can start your application process today, or contact us here.